For over four decades, BC Comfort Air Conditioning Limited has provided sustainable air conditioning and heating (HVAC) solutions, mechanical design build and contracting services for Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
For several years, we’ve committed to making business improvements to reduce our environmental impact and meet our sustainability goals. As part of this commitment, we joined forces with Climate Smart to measure and reduce our emissions.
The 2012 calendar year marked the beginning of measuring and creating our first emissions inventory. Since then, as a Climate Smart business, we are pleased to share a number of changes we have implemented company-wide that have reduced our carbon emissions.
Our list of top 10 emission reduction strategies include:
- Replacing our conventional full size service vans with smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.Our new fleet includes European truck-style vehicles with 4 cylinder engines. These vehicles have helped to bring about noticeable savings in fuel usage.
- Decreasing our natural gas usage.
- Installing insulated overhead doors for our warehouse facilities.
- Performing a lighting audit and retrofitting new lighting for maximum efficiency.
- Minimizing (and eliminating) unnecessary paper use, including double-sided printing.
- Introducing a new paperless document management system for the service business.
- Introducing e-billing for our customers.
- Implementing an electronic reporting system for service technicians.
- Implementing a comprehensive recycling plan and exploring options for recycling used air filters.
- Implementing a communication plan for staff to continue saving office energy by shutting off lights and devices.
Our Climate Smart Achievements
As a result of our work with Climate Smart, we are pleased to announce that BC Comfort has achieved a sizeable 6% reduction in emissions from the baseline.
Our natural gas emissions are also down from 32 to 11 tonnes of CO2e. This resulted in lowering our natural gas cost by $7000 on our Fortis bills.
The success of our emissions achievements have been the result of our company actively working together to lower our environmental impact. We engaged our staff to ensure everyone involved understood how their actions affect our sustainability goals.
From organising meetings with partners to setting up a comprehensive plan for changing our systems internally, working with Climate Smart has been beneficial. This program has helped us to draw the link between operational expenses and our carbon/energy performance, while helping us to meet our sustainability goals.
For more information, please contact Robert Noel at firstname.lastname@example.org.